Medical Genomics and Cancer Therapeutics
Embark on a groundbreaking expedition at the forefront of medical science with our online Specialization in Medical Genomics and Cancer Therapeutics. Beyond traditional education, this digital exploration invites participants to decode the intricacies of the human genome and understand how genomic insights are transforming cancer diagnosis and treatment. This Specialization will equip you with the knowledge of the cellular and molecular basis of cancer therapeutics, medical genomics, and applications of genomic technologies such as gene discovery and genomic technologies for cancer research. To stay competitive in the field of genomics and cancer research, universities and organizations need qualified genomics experts with knowledge and understanding of medical genomics for cancer medicine, who use cutting-edge methods like gene editing.
This 16-week Specialization is designed to equip you with the knowledge of genomics you need to apply in cancer medicine. It will train you to perform research in an international research environment. Through the virtual internship programme, you’ll gain the essential knowledge and skills required to participate in genomics and cancer research. This Specialization aims to provide knowledge of medical genomics and advances in genomics technologies.
Start Date: 20 Apr 2024
Duration: 4 months (16 weeks)
Workload: 5-7 hours per week
Registration: Register here
Contact: Elisa Hampson firstname.lastname@example.org
- Explore the foundational principles of genomics, including DNA structure, genotyping, and sequencing technologies.
- Understand the significance of genomics in unraveling the genetic basis of health and disease.
- Learn about the biology behind ZFN, TALENS, and CRISPR
Engage in research tasks related to cancer genomics and therapeutics
Acquire research skills in genomic data analysis, developing a research proposal, and analysing research studies.
The online distance-learning delivery of the course will provide opportunities to receive expertise from the Cambridge Centre for Innovation and Development (CamCID) researchers, material from our partners, and guest lectures.
- Part 1: PCert - Medical Genomics (4 modules): This 4-week Professional Certificate (PCert) course will provide you the knowledge of medical genomics and genomic technologies. It will provide you with the knowledge to participate in genomic research. You will explore the application of genomic technologies in medicine. Explore the foundational principles of genomics, including DNA structure, genotyping, and sequencing technologies. Understand the significance of genomics in unraveling the genetic basis of health and disease. Gain insights into next-generation sequencing (NGS) technologies and their applications in medical genomics. Further details are mentioned on the PCert - Medical Genomics page.
- Part 2: PCert - Cancer Research and Therapeutics (4 modules): This PCert course will provide you with knowledge of the cellular and molecular basis of cancer therapeutics such as gene editing. This course is designed to provide participants with a comprehensive understanding of groundbreaking genome editing technologies: ZFN, TALENs, and CRISPR. Participants will explore the principles behind these technologies and their applications in therapeutics. The course aims to equip learners with the knowledge required to navigate the rapidly evolving field of genome editing for therapeutic purposes. Further details are mentioned on PCert - Cancer Research and Therapeutics page.
- Part 3: Researchers Training Programme (4 weeks): This unique 4-week online training programme is designed to equip you with the knowledge you need to succeed in your career as a researcher in Biomedical Science. Engage in research activities, exploring ethical challenges and making research presentations. Develop problem-solving skills to identify and address challenges related to academic research. Further details are mentioned on the Researchers Training Programme page.
- Part 4: Virtual Internship - Research Training (4 weeks): This 4 weeks of virtual training will provide you with research skills through research-based tasks and online guidance during the tasks. You will participate in research activities (tasks and analysis) and apply your knowledge of cancer therapeutics and genomics in research. Develop critical thinking skills to work in an international research environment. You will engage in research skills development tasks to stay current with evolving technologies and applications in the field of cancer genomics. Further details are mentioned on the Research Training in Cancer Genomics page.
- This specialization starts with a beginner level and progresses towards the mid and advanced levels. However, prior research experience or knowledge is not required.
- This specialization is designed for all levels of students (Undergraduate students, Master's degree students, or Ph.D.).
- All our online courses are taught in English. Therefore, you must have good English language skills.
Certificate of Completion
After completing all the parts of this Specialization, you will be provided with an e-certificate of completion and a virtual internship at Cambridge Centre for Innovation and Development (CamCID).
Completion of a Specialization in Medical Genomics and Cancer Therapeutics equips individuals with a specialized skill set at the intersection of genomics and cancer treatment. Graduates of this program can explore diverse and dynamic career opportunities within the fields of medical genomics and oncology. Here are some potential career paths:
- Clinical Genomics Researcher:
- Oncology Genetic Counselor
- Clinical Trial Coordinator in Cancer Therapeutics
- Pharmacogenomic Scientist
- Cancer Genomic Diagnostic Specialist
- Medical Science Liaison (MSL) in Oncology
- Cancer Research Project Manager
- Oncology Educator
- Biomedical Informatician in Oncology
- Genomic Medicine Consultant
- Cancer Therapeutics Regulatory Affairs Specialist
The Specialization in Medical Genomics and Cancer Therapeutics prepares individuals for exciting and impactful careers at the forefront of genomic medicine and cancer research. Graduates are poised to contribute to advancements in personalized cancer treatment and play a vital role in the evolving landscape of oncology.
Design AND Delivery
This online programme is delivered on our virtual learning platform (Moodle). The programme is self-paced and it can be completed on your schedule within programme's duration. The programme includes recorded lectures, templates, learning material, ebooks, and research-based tasks. It is designed by the CamCID Research Team and Guest Lecturers (faculty members from international universities).
May include additional material from our partners.
Fees and Funding
UK and International: £419 (including electronic certificate and virtual internship).